Thursday, March 15, 2012

Tornado Season

Well here in Missouri tornado season has already started.  It seems really early but we did have a very mild winter compared to normal.  Last year as many of you know Joplin, MO got hit with a tornado.  Well with having lots of family and friends in that area the word tornado brings back images from May 2011 of the tornado struck town.
Since then I have been thinking that I need to do an emergency kit and have it in the basement and talk with my boys about what we would do if there is a tornado.  So I have been searching the web to come up with ideas but haven't found very much.  Here is what I have so far, most things I already had here at the house so I didn't have to buy anything.  I am sure I will keep coming up with new things to put in our kit but at least I am some what prepared as the season is upon us.  


Our Tornado Kit

  • Plastic Box-should keep moisture out
  • Extra Shoes-Ones your kids have grown out of, hand me downs or pick a pair up of the clearance rack.
    • Socks for everyone
  • Glow Sticks-already had them, you can find them in the dollar bins at Target or in the camping section at Target and Wal-Mart.
  • Blankets
  • Bottled Water
  • Straws
  • First Aid Kit-School Pencil Box
    • Bandaids
    • Scissors
    • Whistle
    • Tooth brushes
    • Toothpaste
  • Baby Stuff
    • Formula-Liquid-Free samples, just in case mom can't help
    • Diapers
    • Wipes
  • Food
    • Change out every few months
  • Toilet Paper
  • Paper Plates
  • Plastic Silverware
There is still room to add which is good because I keep coming up with new ideas.



Here are just a few links that I have found that might help you too.
How to Make a Tornado Safety Kit
Tornado Safety Tips
Tornado Safety Tutorial
Best Be Prepared
American Red Cross


No comments:

Post a Comment